Tuesday 27 May 2008

Power or Strength?

Today I have checked 2 other gyms in Oslo to ask for a HRmax laboratory test but they dont do it. I am running out of options and I still stick to the theoretical one.

Polar bike computer calculates it automatically because it knows my age so is uses 220-age=194
Last trip I got 89%HRmax and it seems that I cant pass it. Regarding that I remember the people in the gym asking if I am a runner or a biker, because its different. And they told me that to reach my max HR you need to use all your power and not your strength.

I definitely want to work power but when I re-check the cadence in my last charts:
Sprint 1 - 65rpm
Sprint 2 - 75rpm
Sprint 3 - 75rpm
Sprint 4 - 85rpm

A professional told me that anything below 90rpm is strength working. Which means that I am totally wrong, but I believe it is due to my body limitations. We will see how it develops!

In the other hand my cadence shows exactly what happen to our body. As you get tired you feel comfort at higher cadence and thats what happened I guess.
Curiously in all those sprints I has at the same HR :) Its maybe a heart demand :)

2 comments:

Rogério said...

I haven't so much experience in this field, but why don't you do your sprints with a lower gear and a cadence close to 90 (or more) ? I think you can do it easily and so you'll be able to change for a higher gear later when you'll manage to do all your intervals with easiness, no ?
Well, actually it was only your first speed workout, I guess it's used for adjusting your next workouts !

Helder Neves said...

Well, thats a good question:
"why not use a 90rpm instead of 60rpm?" well... thats hard to answer!
I guess is has to be with the road. Before any sprint you start with a gradual increase of your speed and when you reach an unconfortable cadence then you increase gear to lower cadence while speed keep raising.
By other perspective you can imagine that its much pleasure to go uphill standing up on the bike and to stand up you cand keep high cadence (at least not yet)
I think there is many reasons but all as to be with experience/tecnique and I am still a beginer :)