Sunday 18 May 2008

The market

As I told you I am a beginner on this fields and this blog describes what I found during my selection/research process.

I am seeking for graphs and charts that I can store in my PC and which contains cadence information and maybe Heart Rate

All my friends that RUN use the nike+iPod to monitor their exercises which costs roughly 30€.
With this system you can have detailed graphs and charts to keep track on every step to make. Download information to pc and so on its simple and quick! Fantastic to share and kick your friends or give them some energy/challenges, I like that :)

On the bike computers market I found "the thing" is a little different. As far as I understood, for that same budget you got "something" that measures your distance and speed and rarely allows you to compare results.

For 50€ I found some nice ones that allows to store several tours on it and compare averages.

For 100€ I found wire-less systems which made me stick to this budget as a minimum investment. Its clean, discreet and nice - no discussion!!! A 4th wish has just raised!

Then, to find cadence readers was the first issue. Sigma have nice cycle computers but a lot of stuff didn't interest me as: temperature and altitude sensors. The only wireless with cadence that I found in shops was the bc1606ldts but you cant connect it to your PC and it didnt reads heart rate! Thing thing starts to interest me a loot :)
Basically I had to stop looking at my budget and see what the market has to offer!

TWO bike computers where finally selected:
- CATEYE V3
- Polar cs200cad

The first one was not elected, again because it doesn't let me transfer data to the PC. The rest of the specs were there to fight Polar but the main reason remain on the fact that in Norway I couldn't get it easily on the shops and this is a big issue for me because I know that some problems will come up and its better to complain to professionals at a shop than having to ship it back all the time.
Apart from that both of them are wireless and as I said they offer only what I am seeking: Wireless, Distance, Cadence & Heart Rate.
The only big plus that I found on reviews from the CATEYE over the POLAR was the discreet sensor "all-in-one". A small device that is installed on the back wheel and reads both cadence and speed.

OK, the final budget remains between 160€ and 200€ (EU)
Lets go for the full review on the POLAR CS200CAD that was the cheapest computer that I could find that allows to download data to a PC, which was actually my first wish when I thought of buying a Bike Computer!

Tags: bc1606ldts, bike, cadence, cateye, computer, cs200, cs200cad, polar, sigma, v3

No comments: